From Azeri Fleet
RPG Characters and Roles - Helm - Flight Control Panel
Six (6) Major Components
- Emergency Override Select - Because of the criticality of Flight Control in spacecraft iperations, particularly during crisis situation, CONN is connected to a dedicated backup flight operations subprocessor to provide for manual flight control. This equipment package includes emergency navigation sensors.
- Impulse Systems Control - During impulse powered spaceflight, CONN is responsible for monitoring relativistic effects as well as inertial damping system status. In the event that a requested maneuver exceeds the capacity of the inertial damping system, the computer will request CONN to modify the flight plan to bring it within the permitted performance envelope. During Alert status, flight rules permit CONN to specify manoeuvers that are potentially dangereous to the crew spacecraft.
- Warp Drive Systems Control - Warp flight operating rules require CONN to monitor subspace field goemetry in parallel with the Engineering department. During warp flight, the Flight Control console continually updates long-range sensor data and makes automatic course corrections to adjust for minor variations in the density of the interstellar medium.
- Navigational References Display / Course Plotting - The Flight Control console displays reading from navigational and tactical sensors, overlaying them on current positional and course projection. Conn has the option of accessing data feeds from secondary navigation and science sensors for verification of primary sensor data. Such cross-checks are automatically performed at each change-of-shift and upon activation of Alert status.
- Manual Sequence Controls The actual execution of flight instructions is generally left to computer control, but CONN has the option of exercising manual control over helm and navigational functions. In full manual mode, CONN can actually steer the ship under keypad control. This gives the Helmsman full control of the Reaction Control System(RCS).
- X-Y Translation Pad Control / Reaction control system (RCS) - Although the actual vector and sequence control of the system is normally automated, CONN has the option of manually commanding the RCS system to control individual thrusters.
Reference: Star Trek Deep Space Nine Technical Manual