Guidelines - Command Responsibilities
All players start on an equal footing and are selected for command roles based on how they perform in this Fleet. Furthermore, there is no 'rank reciprocity' with other Trek based organizations. The characters have rank in the Azeri Fleet, not the players. We do, however, welcome experienced players and Trek enthusiasts and find that almost without exception, talent, knowledge and good leadership qualities come forward and are evident as a player participates in the Azeri Fleet RPG experience.
Ship GM/CO Responsibilities
Ship GM/CO are appointed, on merit, by the Fleet Administration. That means that a player must demonstrate a mature approach to the game, show leadership skills, demonstrate the ability to post in a manner which will encourage fellow crew members to post, and follow the rules and guidelines of this fleet. There is no order of appointment. When an opening becomes available, all those who are eligible to take on the role will be considered for the role.
(NRPG) Non-Role Playing Responsibilities
Ship GM/CO's will spend much of their time carrying out these responsibilities since what is done here, will determine the success of your SIM.
- The Ship GM/CO is responsible to the Fleet GM for the performance of the ship. This includes the supervision of role players in the SIM they GM and the development of the story line within that SIM.
- The Ship GM/CO is also responsible for maintaining the ship's posting rate, contacting crew members that have not contributed recently, and, in association with the Fleet GM, managing inactive crew (Extended Leave of Absence, probation, dismissal, etc.)
Any SIM where most players are not posting regularly (under 50% of assigned players are not meeting the minimum posting requirements) over a period of three consecutive months, will be disbanded automatically. Those players who are active will be assigned to another SIM.
- Other duties for which the Ship GM/CO is responsible are the maintenance of the crew roster, player character biographical data, development/maintenance of the ship's web page, and the submission of mission reports when requested by the Fleet Administration.
- At times the Fleet Administration will require the Ship GM/CO to email the unit's current roster and vacancy list. Below is a sample of how to set out the roster. (NOTE - Font to use is Courier New)*********************************************** USS SHIPNAME Last Update: SD: 27.0521 Needs: COPS *********************************************** Cpt. Johnathon Taylor CO M Human Cmdr Derek Manning XO M Human Ens Martyn Graham FCO M Human Lt Comdr. Pauline Scanlin COPs/2O F Bajorin Lt Kl'ak CSO M Klingon Lt Jaydon McDonald CEO M Human Lt Cmdr Vulok CSciO M Vulcan (LOA) Lt Jane Brenan CMO F Human Lt. <jg> Riena Travon CNS F Betazoid *Rev Brair Jason Taize Diplomat M Human *********************************************** Character Player --------------- --------- Johnathon Taylor Trevor firstname.lastname@example.org Derek Manning David email@example.com Martyn Graham Steve firstname.lastname@example.org Pauline Scanlin Tanya email@example.com Kl'ak Paul firstname.lastname@example.org Jaydon McDonald Neil email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org Vulok Gail email@example.com Jane Brenan Kim firstname.lastname@example.org Riena Travon Warren email@example.com *Jason Taize Pete firstname.lastname@example.org Note:- ( * ) Guest
NOTE: Please ensure that any long LOAs (Leave of Absence), are noted. This is just a precaution so that these players are not removed from the mailing lists automatically.
Rosters can change frequently. It is the Ship GM/CO's responsibility to ensure their crew has access to the most up-to-date roster at all times. Whenever a new player joins, or a player leaves, a new roster should be sent to the ship's discussion list.
The order in which to place the characters is this:-
- The Fleet Administration will require the Ship GM/CO to email the monthly posting statistics at the conclusion of each month. (Can be sent on the 1st Day of the each Month)
NOTE: To keep consistancy across the Fleet, set your Yahoo Group to GMT 0 as this is the time zone used across the Fleet when determining Weekly "Player Participation Commendation".
Below is a sample. (NOTE - Font to use is Courier New)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- USS SOUTHERN CROSS - Posting Statistics - February 2007 Player Role Character Posts Code Colin CO Jonathan Oxley 9 Jenn FO Jane Mackenzie 6 Jake FCO Derek Little 2 NP Greg OPS Garry Lockyer 6 Lisa CSO K'Pae 4 Kyle CEO Neil Reicher 4 LOA Paul CSciO Joe Parker 3 NP Mary CMO Elisia O'Connor 2 PL David CNS Craig Kettle 1 PL Tracey MS T'pek 5 GP TOTAL 42 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Codes: NP = New Player this month. PL = Player Left GP = Guest Player LOA = Leave of Absence NOTE: Each solo post is allocated "1" Joint Posts are allocated "1" per author All players are expected to contribute once per week --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: Only posts made by crew members of the unit are to be included. That is, please disregard any posts made by the Fleet Senior Administration.
Please ensure that when sending the posting stats, use the correct Subject Heading and post to the ANNOUNCE list. Use the following sample for your subject heading.
USS ShipName: Posting stats - Month Year
- The Ship GM/CO may delegate any or all of the above tasks to any member of their SIM so long as that player is willing to accept the responsibility of those duties. However, the Ship GM/CO is still responsible to see that these duties are carried out correctly, and the stats posted are indeed correct..
- It is the responsibility of a Ship GM/CO to ensure their crew members adhere to the plot line and the Canon Material for this fleet.
- In case of any absence, disability, or death, the Ship GM/CO is succeeded by the Asst. Ship GM/XO, UNTIL A REPLACEMENT IS APPOINTED.
(RPG) Role Playing Responsibilities
- When playing in the role of CO, the Ship GM may post any number of times during the week, but at least one per week must move the plot along with regards to the 'standard mission', and should interact with the unit's crew when and where appropriate.
- In case of any absence, disability, or death of the CO character, the command role is succeeded by the next eligible officer in the chain of command, usually the XO, UNTIL A REPLACEMENT IS APPOINTED.
- Since the CO is accountable for all that the ship does and for the conduct of the crew at all times, he/she is likewise given full power to enforce Star Fleet Regulations aboard the ship and to ensure that the crew behaves accordingly.
- Though all authority, command, direction, and responsibility ultimately rests with the Captain of a ship, in practice, the CO delegates the duties necessary for carrying out the day-to-day functions of the ship to the executive officer, to the heads of the departments, to the officer of the deck, and, through them, to the crew.
- The commanding officer is always referred to as "the Captain." regardless of actual rank.
Assistant Ship XO/GM Responsibilities
Assistant Ship XO/GM's are appointed, on merit, by the Fleet Administration. That means that the player must demonstrate a mature approach to the game, show leadership skills, demonstrate the ability to post in a manner which will encourage fellow crew members to post, and follow the rules and guidelines of this fleet. There is no order of appointment. When an opening becomes available, all those who are eligible to take on the role will be considered for the role.
(NRPG) Non-Role Playing Responsibilities
- The Assistant Ship XO/GM is expected to help with administrative details of the unit. The Assistant Ship XO/GM assists the Ship GM/CO in any way that the Ship GM/CO designates. If the Assistant Ship XO/GM feels that the Ship GM/CO is imposing too many duties, he/she should make contact with the Ship GM/CO and, if necessary, the Fleet GM about the situation.
- In the case where the Ship GM/CO is out of communication, the Assistant Ship XO/GM is responsible for carrying out the duties of the Ship GM/CO until such time as the Ship GM/CO returns or is replaced by the Fleet GM.
Any Assistant Ship XO/GM who finds their Ship GM has not posted for a period of 4 days, they can assume the CO character is in the ready room, (or somewhere else which fits into the current story line), and the Assistant Ship XO/GM is permitted to use their character to take Bridge Command.
If the Assistant Ship XO/GM is out of communication with the Ship GM over a period of 14 days he/she should directly contact the Fleet GM.
The Fleet GM should be informed immediately of any difficulties in communication with the Ship GM that last for more than a four days.
- It is also the responsibility of the Assistant Ship XO/GM to ensure their crew members adhere to the plot line and the Canon Material for this fleet.
(RPG) Role Playing Responsibilities
- An Assistant Ship XO/GM may post any number of times during the week. However, they should support the Ship GM/CO by ensuring that at least one of their posts helps to move the plot along with regards to the 'standard mission' and they should have their character interact with the unit's crew when and where appropriate.
- The character in the role of Executive Officer is responsible and accountable to the ship's Captain for the ship's crew and behaviour.
- In case of any absence, disability, or death, the role of Executive Officer is succeeded by the next eligible officer in the chain of command, usually the Second Officer (2O) or the next most highly ranked character, UNTIL A REPLACEMENT IS APPOINTED.
- The Executive Officer character is the line officer next in rank to the ship's Captain. The Executive Officer character is usually one or two grades junior to the ship's Captain. Regardless of the Executive Officer's rank, he/she is senior to all other officers who are part of the ship's crew (aside from the Ship's Captain).
- Under the direction of the Ship's captain, the Executive Officer is responsible for all matters relating to the personnel, routine, and discipline of the ship. All orders issued by the Executive Officer are considered as coming from the Ship's Captain.
- The Executive Officer is also responsible for the ship's routine and for enforcing crew discipline.
- All department heads report to the XO.
- In case of the absence, disability, or death of the Ship's Captain, the Executive Officer assumes command of the Ship.
Second Officer (2O) or Third-in-Command
Some Fleets acknowledge a Second Officer or other Command Billets. These vary on a fleet-to- fleet basis. In some cases, the Second Officer is simply the next most senior player aboard in terms of rank. Often, the Operations Officer is, by default, the Second Officer. In other cases, the commanding officer may designate an out-of-character chain of command that differs from the in-character chain of command. The duties of any other billets designated as "command billets" are at the discretion of the commanding officer and Fleet Commander.
If a Second Officer had been appointed, in case of any absence, disability, or death of the Assistant Ship's GM/XO, the Second Officer is permitted to assume the Assistant Ship's GM/XO's role and responsibilities, both in character and out of character. The role and responsibilities are continued until the Assistant Ship GM/XO returns or unit a replacement is appointed.